Saturday, September 7, 2013

Techie awesomeness - Part 4 - Find a Resource

Hi all,

To end this series, I'd like to tell you, that when in doubt, ask questions.

I know there are a lot of people who will tell you that they don't want you to ask questions, they just want you to move over so they can do it themselves.

This is something I'd like to change. If you ask someone a question, and they ask you to move over, pay close attention to what they're doing.  Most of the time, they're not doing anything different than what you're doing aside potentially from going quickly.  They're trying stuff, they're playing, they're searching to find out what is wrong. Playing (see part 2), which you can do too.

If technical stuff is at all interesting for you, or you think knowing it might make it better for you, or people around you, you can follow communities which continually update this information.  My personal favourite is lifehacker - they do a lot of articles on how to use technology better, but there are also some great things that they offer that have nothing to do with technology, just plain awesome.

Also, if you're reading this, you probably know me, but did you know I'm offering my services as a technology consultant? I haven't done very much with it, since I'm kept pretty busy at my job and enjoying time with my family and stuff, but this is a true passion of mine. I'm absolutely not the best at technology consulting, but I pride myself on being different at it.  My main focus is to help people learn, and not do it for them.  I constantly check myself to see if I'm asking people to move over and do it myself, and if my impatience gets me there, I'll often walk the person through what I'm doing while I'm there.

So - selling my services aside, ask questions.  Do a search on google to see if people have already asked the questions you have, and if they haven't find someone near you to ask.  If you'd like, feel free to ask me questions, too, and I'll be glad to see if I know, or can find out the answer.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment